From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 00:27:55 -0400
alexs wrote:

> Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >For example, the amount of vitamin C in meat is *assumed* to be zero.
>
> Huh. "Assumed" nothing! According to the FDA:
>
> Beef, flank, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, raw
> NDB No:     13065
> Vitamin C, ascorbic acid:  0.000 mg per 100 grams of edible portion
>
> Clearly this is not right; I suspect inadequate assay methods or
> somebody somewhere cutting corners in analysis budgets.

I apologize for the late response.  Your message seems to have appeared
in my inbox only recently.

The nutrient value cited above probably *was* assumed to be zero.  Just
because the value is listed in the database doesn't mean that it was
determined by analysis.  If you were privy to the complete database, you
could look at the code for the methodology used, which would probably
indicate an assumed value.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland