From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:59:09 -0500
From: "Tom"
> Different thing entirely. Sorry. There is a wide range of
> "proper dosage".

Now I follow you.  You're right--what the disease is, severity of it, status
of the animal (e.g., young, old, general health, debilitation, weight, etc.)

>The drug companies just specify a high one.

The "umbrella" dosage, so to speak  The labeled amount that will kill the
worst pathogen (and thus "overkill" the least worst one).  This is where a
clinician's skill/knowledge (and good reference texts on specific diseases
and treatments!) are invaluable.

> Resistance is more often caused by too short a dose period.
> People tend to stop taking meds when they feel a little
> better, too soon.

So true, but these still fall into the category of improper/sub-clinical
dosing whether it's self-withdrawal by a human who quits taking meds too
soon or under-medicating by a vet, tech (or a dr.).  A pet or farm animal
cannot withdraw itself.  Thus still causes of antibiotic resistance.
"Enough" must be used.  But, again, you're quite right in that it's not at
all necessary or desirable to over-medicate.

Theola