From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 19:18:42 -0500
On Sun, 6 May 2001 15:52:54 -0500, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 May 2001 15:44:36 -0500, Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>

>>Also some root carbs (like rutabaga!) may not be "permitted "in
NeanderThin
>>but I include them in my paleodiet.
>
>Could some point out what that fabulous rutabaga is? I didn't
>find it in dictionaries. Where can you get it? Do you have a picture of it?

Rutabaga in the US, AKA Swedish turnip. And it's a fun word to say :-)

>Btw. I don't understand, why roots shouldn't be "permitted" even by a book
>like neanderthin.

I thought everone had the book :-)

See The Problem With Potatoes, a section in NeanderThin (pg. 57 pb ed.).
Now the "Not permitted" list includes turnips (which I would guess
would include the yellow turnip or rutabaga) with potatoes. But compare
the carbs in potato vs. turnip to see why turnips are considered a
potato substitute for low carb eaters.

What is my rationalization? Upper paleolithic did include roots
(cooked) in their diet, but they were of the low carb variety, like
maybe turnips?

Philip Thrift
http://www.paleofitness.com