From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:37:57 -0400
About two months ago I started calling farmers in Virginia and Maryland USA
listed on eatwild.com or referred by others. City boy (from Southern
California where there are no seasons) that I am, I learned a lot.

Virginia is largely rural, rolling hills with lots of grassland.
Temperatures are temperate most of the time. July and August are average
90F, winters get a little snow a few times and are often 40F.

Although it may be obvious to most, I discovered for the first time that
since grass has a growing season here, grassfed steers and lambs have a
season too. Many steers are fed grains in the wintertime.

One farm person told me she had a few steers that had eaten nothing but
grass, some salt available when they wanted it, and some kelp. No grains,
ever.

She called me and I ordered a front quarter. I spoke to the butcher and the
meat is hanging dry in the cooler for a few weeks to age. I was able to
discuss what I wanted and they will package and freeze the meat and I am
picking it up in about a week.

I will let you know how it goes.

--Richard