From:
Jan Harkness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:02:47 -0400
Michael, I live near the Ute Indian Reservation in SW Colorado.  The Utes
have year round hunting rights in the mountains of SW Colorado, whereas the
non native Americans have a short, expensive season.  Do the native
Americans go out and hunt this land?  No, they opt for Walmart Supercenter
and other supermarkets for their Doritos, tortillas, candy, processed foods,
etc.  I understand the native Americans in the NW have unlimited fishing
rights, and are not allowed to sell the salmon, but they do.  I am sure
there are many who use these rights as they were intended, but there are so
many who don't. They are simply caught up in the same convience trap all of
America is in.  It is a trap and we have all fallen victim.

Jan