From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:37:08 -0400
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:24:19 CDT, Justin Hasselman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For overweight people, wouldn't a high protein, low fat/carb diet be the
>most effective for rapid weight loss?  The body will be forced to run off
>stored bodyfat and what little glucose is broken down from the protein.  If
>exercise is done to keep the thyroid from down-regulating, then a massive
>energy deficit should exist.  Wouldn't this then cause fat to be lost at an
>incredible rate?

This sounds logical to me, to replace bodyfat for ingested fat.
Then only the *rest* of the essentials of food should be eaten
(w/o fat). Regarding protein this is a high protein/low energy food.
Like especially meat or low fat cheese or tons of vegetables.

For the other essentials (namely the short reserve vitamins)
the food should also be checked.
In this case i think especially of riboflavin (B2) as it is not only
for carbohydrate metabolizing, but also for fat metabolizing necessary.
Meat *is* high in riboflavin, like mushrooms, and yeast.
For short term usage i'd regard pills (supplements) as possible.

As you suggest severe caloric restriction hunger and craving may arise.
With sufficient bodyfat, there's no need for the body to develop a
overall energy hunger.

But about 500kcal minimum are required as carbohydrate
(plus some more for more brain activity plus some more for the
times of higher insulin).

Carbohydrates on the blood are kept konstant with a very eager effort,
so i'd expect that carbohydrate cravings will show up first.

The art would be (IMO) to eat 500, say 800 kcal of *usable* carbohydrates,
to supply sufficient brain/nerve/blood fuel.
With a insulin elevation as short as possible (to not increase additional
uptake of the carbs by other tissures than brain).

Usable means (in my terms) with sufficient of thiamin, riboflavin.
The extent of insulin elevation could be measured by the glycemic index.

So, the ideal weight loss diet (according to this ideas) would be:
1.Some high protein (low fat) foods up to the natural demand (about RDA).
 This needs to be partitioned over the day, so that it can be digested
 (say, pieces up to  35g protein).
2.eat 800 kcal of *natural* carbohydrate (with vits...)
 best distributed in meals with long enough pauses to let insulin go down.
 potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes. (:-))
 Very good would be natural fruit. As the analyzer results show, not all
 fruit are equally well suited.
3. enough of vitamin b1, that the brain is able to *use* the carbs
 (instead of creating hunger for more)
 A especially good source is brewers yeast.

By accident similar to Todds new diet.

Something reminds me of the "zone diet" too. The effort to keep insulin
down, enough protein, caloric reduction.
And enough of carb.

And the prediction, that enough energy supply (fat from storage and
added carbs) could keep hunger away.

Btw. how can "exercise keep the thyroid from down-regulating"?