From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:50:17 -0500
laura paris wrote:
> Maddy, can you elaborate on this "rebound reaction?" I'm curious about it
> thanks,

Laura, I'm not Maddy and I can't speak to your particular
situation but this "rebound effect" is quite common when a
symptom is artificially removed without removing the cause.
Think of it as repressing a natural response which simply
builds the pressure like a lid on a heating pan - when the
lid is finally removed, an explosion is not really
surprising.  That's why they tell you to let the pressure
cooker sit a while before removing the lid :)  I've seen
this with NSAIDs as well as stronger pain meds,
anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines - anything that
suppresses the body reaction without actually curing the
underlying condition.   Drop "drug rebound" in a search
engine and you will get lots of articles.  The most commonly
known reaction is a rebound headache.

Pain is a natural response existing to let us know something
is wrong.  If you suppress the pain and don't correct the
wrong, further damage can result.  This is why vets are in
no hurry to give large amounts of pain killer drugs to an
animal with an injured limb - pain relief tells the animal
to go ahead and use the limb, usually with further damage.
While it may feel like a cure, it is not.  If you want
lasting relief and no worry about side-effects, treat the
condition rather than the symptom.

Non-paleo food stuffs have been tied to all sorts of
problems, conclusively so IMHO. BP (before paleo) I was in
such pain in my knees, hips and back that I was looking at a
wheelchair existence.  I had the handicapped thingy for the
car and always used the golf carts for shopping.  I lived on
something like 12 aspirin a day.  After just a couple months
of strict avoidance of grains and low impact exercise only
to the point of discomfort, well, I'm off the aspirin and
yesterday I shopped a large grocery pushing a cart like
everybody else and didn't have any problems.  I would
strongly suggest a strict paleo diet, GENTLE exercise only
to the point of pain, and temperature therapy (heat, cold or
a combination) for a month or so.  If it is going to help,
you will know it.  If it is not, at least your body will
have a rest from the constant assault of questionable foods
and drugs and you will not have lost anything but some time
:)  It sure worked wonders for me.  Good luck!

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee