From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:12:40 -0500
Dori,

Actually, women traditionally do most of the work in hunter/gatherer tribes
(although the degree and activity vary widely among tribes).  The women are
generally expected to dress the kill, cook, forage for food, and raise
children.  The men primarily hunted and lounged around (not necessarily
true...just an exaggeration).  In some tribes, the women also built the
shelters (Pygmy)...in most tribes the responsibility is shared.  Everyone
was considered equal in a sense...just different roles for the sexes.

I think that the important thing in tribal living is that all of the work is
shared among the tribe.  And even more importantly, most tribes do not have
a concept of work.  For instance, many South American tribes do not have a
word for work that would distinguish hunting, foraging, or building shelters
from playing games or other so-called leisure activity.  In one South
American tribe, it is customary for the husband to be waited on hand and
foot happily by his wife for 3 days to several weeks after the birth of
their child!  He does nothing but sit in a hammock!

The point that many people miss (including Rush) is that, in tribes, there
is no resentment of others as related to "work".  "Work" is a foreign
concept.  Their lives are centered around their existence and sustenance,
rather than perceiving that they have to perform activities (work) that they
would rather not do.  If the tribe were building a shelter, some may
participate, and others may not...according to their wishes, without fear of
resentment.

This is very different in our culture.  Often, we resent others for not
working as hard as we, or feel guilty for not working as hard as others.
There is a constant, false sense of justice...that everyone should work
equally.  I am sure that many married couples, like myself, have had issues
like this from time to time regarding housework, yardwork, raising children,
cooking, etc. It is interesting that in family gatherings, I have noticed
that all of the women get together to do the cooking, and the men all go do
something else (usually watch TV or play games).  So much for Rush's theory.

Brad