From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:38:41 -0600
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:52:39 -0600, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, in a ketogenic diet, the glycogen stores are not replenished--at
> least not fully.

I was referring to a *cyclical* ketogenic diet.  In such a diet, you run
yourself into ketosis for a few days, then carb-load for a day or two.
The idea is that when you're carb-depleted, you can take advantage of an
increased sensitivity to them and cause your system to store more glycogen
than it normally would.  So it's not only replenished, it's
over-replenished.  But this is done over the course of a week or so, not
just a day.  That's what I was comparing it to -- they're obviously quite
different approaches, I was just thinking of the cycling of glycogen,
that's all.

> But a person with insulin resistance may find that BG and insulin never
> get a chance to return to baseline during the course of a day if they
> are being reactivated every few hours with small meals.  This is what I
> want to avoid.

Ah.  But wouldn't a paleo diet prevent insulin resistance in the first
place?

(Does the list still limit a person to five posts a day?  If so, I'm
probably at my limit.)

--
   Robert Kesterson