From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:45:03 -0400
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Paul Sand wrote:

> I've read that atherosclerosis is common among old elephants (pure
> vegetarians).

Elephants also, from what I have read, often live long lives.
Atherosclerosis typically appears in the latter part of an
animal's life span.

One thing that Ravnskov said seemed contradictory.  Seals and sea
lions get atherosclerosis.  Predators such as lions and wolves do
not.  Both are carnivores, however, unless seals and sea lions
also eat kelp or some other marine vegetation.  I thought they
just ate fish.

It's rather difficult to explain why predators should be free of
atherosclerosis.  As Ravnskov points out, this should have
stimulated a wave of research.  It didn't, because scientists
were convinced they are already knew what causes it, in humans at
least.

Atherosclerosis, however, is not strongly correlated with heart
disease, so perhaps the point is academic.

Todd Moody