From:
Mike Horlick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:49:34 -0400
Hello,

It's been a few months for me now in learning and trying to apply the
PaleoDiet. I started with PaleoDiet Book by Cordain and have also read Good
Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. I'm also reading the "Fat Of The Land"
by Stefansson

Both made pretty good sense to me (but then again, doesn't any new diet
such as the Zone,Atkins,South Beach,etc... make sense to a layman?)

I have grown up believing in the low saturated fats, more fruits and veggies,
less red meat philosophy and I was big into tofu, whole wheat bread, pasta
making, etc...
My wife follows this philosophy and is not that interested in the low or zero
carb way. She believes in the "balanced" way of eating. Also, she wants us to
keep kosher at home so it's kind of expensive to eat a lot of meat and fish and
it is kind of limiting in choice (no kosher bison,etc...)

We also subscribe to the "Nutrition Action" newsletter that we receive here in
Canada. It's published by the "Centre for Science in the Public Interest"

We just received the latest issue and was wondering if any had read or would
like to comment on it.

Front Page "The Real Cost of Red Meat".

I guess the big news in this edition is the results of the U.S. NIH-AARP Health
Study who sent questionnaires about diet and lifestyle to 3.5 million members
of AARP. It shows that high-end eaters of meat (2,000 calories a day eating
125 grams of red meat) had roughly a 30% higher risk of dying over 10 years
than those who ate the least red meat.

One quote : "When it comes to red and processed meats, the evidence has
always been strongest for colorectal cancer" says Arthur Schatzkin, chief of
the Nutritional Epidemiology Branch of Cancer Epidemiology & Genetics at the
U.S. National Cancer Institute in Besthesda, Maryland.

Anyways, they talk about N-nitrosa compunds, meat heme,Cooked meat
mutagens and the relationship between meat and different cancers
(Prostate,Pancreas,Breast) as well as Diabetes.

Besides the health issues they talk about the environmental costs of
meat "Global Heat and Meat" and the memo from the editor, MIchael Jacobson,
talks about "Livestock's Long Shadow".

There are about 14 references to articles
from "Arch.Intern.Med","Carcinogenesis", and other publications.

Their "The Bottom Line":

. Cut back on red and processed meats. Aim for about one serving a week
. Replace red meat with poultry, fish,beans,nuts, and soy-based veggies meats
. Look for deli meats that are nitrite free

They really don't really address "raw meat", since I guess most people aren't
into that and do discuss processed meats and how to cook meat to avoid
HCAs and PAHs but do mention the heme in red meat as a problem.

Now, with this publication, it's pretty hard to convince my wife on the merits
of the Paleo/low/zero carb diet.

I'm beginning to believe it's best to be safe to mostly eat fish (and to learn
how to cook cheap fish heads ;))

Comments?

Mike