From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:53:37 -0500
From: "chich" <[log in to unmask]>
<snip>
> I'm sold on this whole thing now. My question is this.....is this diet
safe
> for osteoporosis prevention? I still eat cultured milk in the form of
cottage
> cheese and yoghurt, simply because I am afraid not to . My whole family
has
> suffered from brittle bones and it scares me to think I will follow down
that
> path.

I don't really know. This is a great question.

It seems self evident that the calcium you consume, less the calcium you
secrete, is the key to finding out whether or not you are getting enough
calcium. My understanding is that milk products acidify the blood and the
body uses the calcium stored in bones as a buffer. Therefore, milk does not
add overall to calcium retained in the body. I don't know if this is true,
but obviously primitive man did not drink pasteurized milk from another
species.

I think we do not need nearly as much calcium as is commonly accepted. I
occasionally use bone broths, eat lots of leafy green veggies and often eat
sardines with the bones and skin in, but this probably isn't nearly enough
according to conventional wisdom. I take a supplement called hydroxyapetite,
that is essentially highly processed bone meal and includes all the minerals
in bone. I also take cod liver oil when I do take the hydroxyapetite, and I
take magnesium citrate other times. I don't do this every day, but I do find
that I will sometimes get leg cramps if I don't for a while. I know this
isn't paleo but in my philosophy it is as close as I can get and a
reasonable tradeoff for me.

I don't want to start the hormone replacement theraphy (HRT) argument again
here, but for peri- and post-menopausal women, I believe *natural*
progesterone cream (not yam and not a drug company concoction) helps retain
bone mass.

--Richard