Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:06:07 -0400
PaleoBabe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Face it, no government official wants to stand up and tell a huge portion of
>the population that all of a sudden they can no longer afford to feed their
>families properly. And they're certainly not gonna raise welfare/food stamp
>programs to a level where people can afford to eat grassfed beef and wild
salmon.

My reply:
Even if most Americans cannot swtich to grass fed meat and wild salmon, they
would still be much better off if the money they spent on food went to buy
fresh, preferably locally grown vegetables, fruits, white meat fish, eggs,
lean or fairly lean red meat, and poultry.

Many people squander their hard earned money on daily cigarette, soda pop,
candy, alcohol, and vending machine habits.  When I am in a supermarket, it
pains me to see what people are buying and eating.  Those same food dollars
that are going to buy all the processed, fluffed, puffed, extruded, nutrient
excluded, white stuff could buy quite a bit of real food!

There are wild white meat fish varieties one can buy relatively
inexpensivley.  I see and sometimes buy frozen pollock in supermarkets for
$1.99/pound.  Deep sea dory and blue hake are often $2.99 or $3.99, also
sold frozen with nothing added.  When you buy fresh, seasonal fruits and
vegetables from a local farmers market you can often buy twice as much as in
a supermarket and they taste so much better when fresh picked the day you
get them or the day before.

In the summer, it is truly amazing how much produce I can bring home from
the farmer's market for $30 to $35.  It's not organic, but it's fresh
picked, looks vibrant, tastes great, and keeps longer in the fridge without
losing flavor or visual appeal than shipped in produce.  I also buy fresh
locally grown organic produce when I can, but when I can't, I relish what I
can get my hands on.  There are incredible bargains to be had.  Also, where
I live, in the midwest, people can buy Amish, hormone and antibiotic free
poultry for a very reasonable price.  No, it's not organic and it's not
pasture raised, but it's better than the chicken sold by the poultry
processing giants or fast food eateries.

People don't have to go all grass fed or organic to reap the beneifts of
food made by God and Mother Nature.  People can make improvements wherever
they are.  They can learn or decide to make tradeoffs, taking money that
went for non-essentials and less essential items and activities, investing
in health-giving foods, day by day and meal by meal.

Rachel