From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 09:07:08 -0800
Jim said:
You're right.  There is substantial disagreement across the various groups
within the paleo umbrella, which disagreement tends to revolve around
macronutrient mix.  That's not what I'm talking about.   I'm simply
advocating an approach that *starts* with what nearly everyone agrees is
paleo and then branches out from there.  That seems to me the wisest
approach.

[Ron] I mostly agree with you.  However, there are many people who live in
places where eating paleo is exceedingly expensive, like Tracey Baldrey.
There are many more who live in third world countries where their dietary
choices are more limited than ours. Even here in North America, there is
substantial economic disparity, where poverty dictates that avoidance of
Neolithic foods would mean going hungry. For those people, what is the
wisest approach? I have previously written about school lunch programs that
are dominated by dairy. They are great for kids of northern European
extraction, but what about indigenous people? They typically lose their
lactase production prior to school age. I can tell you from personal
experience that when a kid says they don't like milk or that it tastes sour
to them, that most adults ignore their complaints. The net result is that
these kids become the targets of ridicule and social outcasts because of
their flatulence, and bowel problems that are the direct result of
one-size-fits all thinking. And when it comes to school lunch programs the
choice seems to be between Neolithic foods and hunger. So what is the
answer? Maybe it is wisest to provide different foods to different groups.

I'm not opposed to Paleo. For the most part, I'm an advocate. But I think it
is more useful to use existing data, insights, medical test results, etc. to
allow each individual find their own best diet.  We mostly agree. It is just
that we disagree on how easy it is to define Paleo and on the best starting
point for adopting a Paleo eating regimen. I don't want to rule out foods
just because they are Neolithic. Strictly speaking, most of our foods today
are Neolithic, so it becomes a question of how stringent you choose to be.

best wishes,
Ron