From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:03:18 +0100
>From: Lurisia Dale <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I have a friend who is hypoglycemic but not diabetic, though she is,
>according
>to her doctor, at risk of developing diabetes.

First of all how she knows she has hypo? It became a buzz word today. It
seems that everybody has hypo today ;) It is real hypo or reactive ?

>As I understand it, hypoglycemia is essentially the opposite of
>insulin-resistance: The body's insulin is overly effective at clearing
>glucose
>from the bloodstream, which leads to consistent levels of low blood sugar.
>My
>first question is, If this is the case, why would having hypoglycemia put
>someone at risk of developing diabetes?

not exactly. it's rather mismatch between insulin needed and insulin
produced as a result of food ingested; if you overshooting insulin every
time you eat carbs and/or eat a lot of carbs after a while you are insulin
resistance - your body protects itself from overexposure to insulin; plus it
can be caused by liver problems, digestive problems, etc

>Also, I know all about how modern diets cause insulin resistance.  Can they
>also
>cause hypoglycemia?
see above

>My last question is, Is the paleo diet good for controlling hypoglycemia?
>If
>so, why?
if by paleo diet you mean 20 bananas a day my answer is: no;

good read: http://www.heilkunst.com/drugs11.html

Paul Sand