From:
John Wilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:27:36 -0400
A theory of mine has been floating through my brain for awhile now. I just wanted to spit it out to discuss it.

Does it really matter as much what we eat? Through evolution, and through changes in our food habits, do you think the human brain (with the whole mind body connection thing) is actually able to recognize our eating habits and diet and change the chemistry of our body to handle the food? For instance, if a tribe of humans back in the day found a new land, and the food supply was different, would the mind-body be smart enough to change its own chemistry to fit this diet? For instance increasing certain chemicals like enzymes to make certain vitamins or carbohydrates more bio-available.

Its just a thought that has been tumbling around the last few months. Everyone always talks about micro and macro evolution. Also evolutionary pscyhology is pretty hot. What about microevolution of the digestive system? The ability of the digestive system (and all the other systems linked to it) to change in a relatively short period of time to adapt to a diet. Obviously I think there are limits to this change if this did exist, and this still does not say that these changes are for the better.

On a recent post, someone mentioned how there are very smart people that eat very poorly. For instance, a friend of mine has a semi-photographic memory and is just a genius. Has his whole system macro-evolved faster to meet the demands of the modern day diet? Some people can just eat anything, and feel and look great. Maybe every human is different. Some have evolved more to eat certain foods than others. This whole idea does not discount all this talk about eating paleo. I think for many of us, we feel and look so much better when eating paleo, but is that just because our systems have not evolved as much as others?

Just stuff to discuss..

-Dave

Ideas??
-David