From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:04:08 +0100
>From: Lurisia Dale <[log in to unmask]>

>A passage in Dr. Cordain's book _The Paleo Diet_ discusses the dangers of a
>diet
>which is BOTH high-fat and high-calorie.

The key word here is BOTH.
Have you tried high fat diet yourself? I struggle to get kind of normal kcal
intake while on high fat diets. It's not possible to get BOTH high fat and
high calories if you follow your appetite.
Of course Atkins is wrong that you can get away with high kcalories  but who
says he's not?

These
>doctors should know better; low carbohydrates don't guarantee low
>cholesterol.

First of all should we really bother?
If you can show me any study which links cholesterol levels to health I will
be more than happy.

These men consumed nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese, and
>cream for thirty-five days.  They had a low carbohydrate intake--less than
>20
>grams a day--but it didn't matter.  Their blood cholesterol levels still
>went
>up, from 159 to 208 on average in just thirty-five days.  This study and
>others
>prove beyond a doubt that diets high in saturated fats--no matter how low
>the
>carbohydrate content--will raise blood cholesterol levels when caloric
>intake
>levels are normal.

I don't  like the word 'on average' here.
Increase in total figure is meanless. What about triglycerides, HDL, LDL.
What about long term effect?
I noticed that if I increase my sat fat intake rapidly my cholesterol levels
go up (but both HDL, LDL) for a while  and that it goes back to normal.

Paul Sand