From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:55:51 +0100
> So, Eva, what was then the grain of the Swedish and the Vikings?

> Ok, I think the viking grain was -- barley.
> Like that of the hunza.
>
> regards
> Amadeus

Hello Amadeus
you are still out there! Good! Yes it was barley, a grain that can stand a
cold and wet climate. Northern England and Scotland also used a lot of
barley. Some sources say that barley has no gluten - is that really correct?
Anyway, it is a grain that does not rize and our thinbreads look more like
pancakes, the size of large pizzas. They can be either soft or hard.
Rye is known to have been cultivated since 1000AD in the south of Sweden. I
don't understand really why because it couldn't really stand the cold nights
in the spring and early autumn. People had to walk through the nights over
the fields with a rope stretched between them to prevent the crop from
getting blighted with frost.
Genetically we are not adapted to either.
Eva