From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:35:33 MDT
The June 12 edition of People magazine (which deals with real people only 5%
of the time, but I digress) has an interesting lead article:  "Diet Wars".
The popular diets-o-the-stars highlighted?  Somersizing, CAD, 'high
protein', The Zone, Atkins, Andrew Weil, Weight Watchers, Sugar Busters! and
Slim Fast.  Get ready for some serious chuckles.

CAD con:  "There's no such thing as a carbohydrate addict."
Tufts University 'Health & Nutrition Letter' editor Larry Lindner

Zone con:  "There's no evidence to support" the ratio theory.
Bonnie Liebman of the Centerfor Science in the Public Interest

Atkins con:  The American Dietetic Association warns that it's high in total
fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.

Weight Watchers pro:  "It's consistent with what we know is balanced
nutrition."

As for which stars follow which diet:

Atkins - Dennis Franz, Whoopi Goldberg, Stevie Nicks and, get this,
Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson

The Zone - Jennifer Aniston, Matt LeBlanc, Kristin Davis, Kirstie Alley,
Connie Stevens

CAD - Rosie O'Donnell, Oprah (who, they admit in the story text, has gone on
to something else)

Sugar Busters - Liz Taylor

Other quotes of interest:
"I haven't had bread in two months.  My energy is up and I've put on
muscle."  John Tesh

"I did it the right way, and it's stayed off."  Delta Burke, who names no
specific plan but lowered carbs and upped protein and "just about eliminated
white bread, rice and refined foods" after learning she had diabetes.  She's
down to 150 from 215 and looks HOT, if I do say so myself.  To those who
check out the pictures in this article while waiting in line at the Piggly
Wiggly; Delta's size is my goal.  Hubba, hubba!

"Of course you can lose weight on diets that aren't good for you.  It's a
great way to sell books to tell people what they want to hear, that steaks
and ice cream are health foods.  I'd love to tell people that they are, but
they're not."  Dean Ornish.

"Ah, go to hell, Ornish!"  Dori Zook.  No, this isn't in the article but
I've just about had it with this SOB.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO