From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 23:34:00 -0400
For those that missed my post on the first time I made pemmican, see this
thread:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A1=ind0104&L=paleorecipe#4

The other day I dehydrated the rest of my bison meat. I don't think I dried
it as much as the other time I made pemmican. Then I ran it at 145 degrees
overnight then the next day at something lower. This time I ran it at 125
degrees for about 20 hours. It did not seem as dry. I guess even longer if
I'm going to use a lower temperature.

After my first batch I talked with a couple of professional chefs. They
recommended using a food processor and not a blender. I had thought that
the blender made it rather fine. I'm sure these chefs have never tried
chopping up jerky! The food processor worked and worked at it. It left
behind many big chunks. Far more than the very few that the blender left
behind.

I had fat left over from the first batch, so no rendering this time. With
the big chunks it used less fat then before, and made less. When cutting it
up before I simply used a table knife, which went through it like butter.
This time I had to use a sharp knife to make it through the chunks.

I took pictures this time. Eventually I'll fill in the gap and also have
pictures of the fat processing. They're at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=118126&a=12905716&f=0

I still have jerky and some fat. Not sure if I can dry the jerky some more.
Or more likely I'll use the blender with this same jerky batch and see how
it does.

Don.