Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:29:38 EST
Re hunger at breakfast and insulin sensitivity (from [log in to unmask])...

I make a distinction between true hunger and the craving for food (generally
carbohydrates) that comes with low blood sugar.  I have found that if I eat
too many sweets, then when I wake up the next morning my blood sugar is low
and I need to eat something instantly--not from true hunger, but from low
blood sugar.  A very small amount will raise my blood sugar back up--for
example, an apple slice with nut butter on it.  True hunger is a different
thing.  It feels different.  You can be truly hungry without having
excessively low blood sugar.  In fact, I've noticed that when my blood sugar
isn't stable (because I've been eating sweets), I tend to overeat because of
"false hunger"--food cravings due to low blood sugar.

I ate breakfast my whole life until very recently (I'm 45).  But I can't say
for sure that I really was hungry or whether it was just habit or I was
thirsty.  I never thought to ask the question "Am I really hungry?"  It was
breakfast and time to eat, so I ate.  Today, now that I'm asking the
question, I'm discovering that I'm mainly thirsty in the morning, and as long
as my blood sugar is stable, I don't want food until later.  I enjoy food the
most after exercising--then I'm truly hungry.

I had a blood test recently and my fasting glucose (test done in the morning
before breakfast) was 81.  The normal range is 65-109, so this is not
diabetic or hypoglycemic.