From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:57:19 -0500
Justin,

My first advice for your pregnant coworkers is to read The Continuum Concept
by Jean Liedloff (http://www.continuum-concept.org/)  and Our Babies,
Ourselves by Meredith Small.  These books really don't address nutritional
aspects of childcare, but do address other issues that affect health.  If
they would like breastfeeding information, their local La Leche League
(http://www.lalecheleague.org/) should have monthly meetings and individuals
that can provide information and other support.   LLL has been a great
resource for my wife.

My wife gave birth to our first child in April 2000.  Before she started
incorporating paleo philosophy into her eating habits, she was unable to
conceive.  Within 3 weeks of going paleo, she was pregnant...maybe just a
happy coincidence.  During her pregnancy she gained only 25 lbs, gave birth
to a 7 lb 10 oz girl, was walking within an hour of the birth, and dropped
35 lbs within a month (from pre-birth weight).  I should point out that she
didnt always eat paleo foods, but stuck to it pretty well.  Certainly, her
diet contributed to a relatively low weight gain, a successful natural
childbirth, and significant loss of weight after childbirth.  Also, IMO,
because she eats a lot of meat, her milk production has been very good while
breastfeeding.  The baby is always well-fed, and sleeps very well at night.

Oddly enough many of the diets recommended for pregnant and lactating women
are near-paleo, but with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables.  The same can
be said for children.

Let me know if you would like more info.

Brad