Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:59:49 +0900
Hi. I just got back from a 75 minute run in the summer heat.
It went great. I am definately low-carbing, but probably not
to ketosis. I don't check. My breakfast before running was 3
eggs, a pile of bacon, and a slice of watermelon, washed
down with green tea. I ran about an hour later.

So my advice is, don't worry too much about the carbs if you
are getting plenty of fat. I use fat as my primary exercise
fuel, and it seems to work fine. Rice and oatmeal are OK for
me too, but I rarely eat them now. I would go with the dried
fruit for carbs. You want max energy with min weight.
Concentrated fat and carbs.

I do not know how long you will be out, so how important
spoilage will be. For short hikes I cut pork chops into
cubes, fry it till the water is out, it is nice and brown.
Then I pack it in the frying oil, salt it well, put it in a
tupperware, and go. It helps to freeze it before going.
Pemmican or something like that might be good for longer hikes.

Good trip!