From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:29:19 -0700
Currently being held in Montreal
Dr. Walter Willett, Chair of the Nutrition Dept. at the Harvard School
of Public Health

- the low fat high carb diet has plenty of evidence showing that it is
making people fat
- the fat phobia sweeping Canada and the US has probably led to the
wrong conclusions with fat getting an undeserved "bad rap" -- fat phobia
has gotten out of hand
- North Americans are growing fatter at an alarming rate yet fat intake
has been going down
- "by cutting all fat, we are cutting good cholesterol in our blood"
(Lambert-Lagace)
- return to the full-fat foods, stop using low fat varieties
- a worse culprit than saturated fat is transfatty acids such as found
in hydrogenated oils and shortening
- "If there's a choice between a hamburger or steak and pizza crust or
pastry loaded with shortening, you might be wise to choose the
hamburger."