From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:47:15 -0600
Ken Stuart wrote:

> How could chicken be the source of the problem without eggs also being affected
> ???

First, if the chicken is sick with salmonella in its digestive tract, it may or
may not affect the egg tract.  Second, the slaughter procedures for chicken
almost assure that if any chickens in the batch have salmonella, all will be
exposed.  This is not true for eggs.  Thirdly, from what I read, the fact that
the mayonnaise egg is fully mixed in an emulsion with lemon juice and oil
helps prevent the growth of the nasty bugs.  Even with all this, I think it's
wise to use the highest quality eggs you can find.  Raw eggs in cookie dough
do not have the protective ingredients that mayonnaise has, so would be more
hazardous.  But of course, we don't eat cookies, do we?  :-)

Lynnet