From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:33:44 -0500
I have been on a low carb regimen since 1996 but not strict paleo. I have
always felt great and been able to maintain a really lean body, especially
when I cut out all grains. I have always been healthy, too, until about 2
years ago. To make a long story short, I had a hysterectomy last year in
July and have one ovary remaining. Now I have 2 parasites (blastocystis
hominis and giardia) and as a result most likely leaky gut and candida. I
am trying to follow paleo but the cravings are SO intense most days that I
cave in and have a piece of gum or some Splenda. It could be worse, but as
long as I continue to do so, I know I will prolong the agony. My main
symptoms are abdominal distention (from 26 inch waist in AM to 33 inch
waist after lunch), water retention, lower backaches, foggy thinking, and
itchy dry skin. Most days I don't know if I am swollen because of the
candida/parasites, or due to PMS or if I am reacting to food I have eaten
either that day or the day before. Or if the latter two are a result of the
parasites/candida.

Anyway, I am on week 3 of an 8-week anti-parasitic program and I guess I
was hoping I would feel better by now. I want to be able to eat without
swelling up like a balloon. I am getting colonics, too, and the colonic
irrigationist suggested doign a 1 week complete cleanse (no food - just
UltraClear (a protein drink mix), probiotics, and fiber) and a colonic
every day. He said it's like cleaning house so the anti-parasite stuff I am
taking is hitting a cleansed body and not a parasite and yeast infested
body. Makes sense but I know it will be hard.

Sorry this is getting so long. I think I just needed to vent and get some
feedback. Anybody else here suffering from candida and/or parasites and has
had results with paleo? And how do you stick to paleo when you go out to
eat and everybody around you is eating non-paleo. The latter is the least
of my worries, but just wondering. My main concern is getting completely
healthy again because the daily struggle with health is wearing me out and
also hurting my marriage. My husband is extremely patient, but after 18
months or so of this he is pretty frustrated as am I.

And last, I have a friend suffering from Asthma. So bad and for so long now
that one, he has beginning stages of ostheoporosis and will most likely
have to move soon (high allergies here). I am thinking diet would help
that - am I wrong?

Thanks for any input, feedback, encouragement, etc.!! I look forward to
being part of this group and have already gotten tons of information from
the archives. And I promise I don't alway whine this much. <g>

Kristina