From:
Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:38:39 -0700
I am not telling you this to argue, but to give you my experiences.  A few
years ago, I went on the Atkins Diet and stayed on the Induction stage (less
than 20 g. carbs) for a year and lost 120 lbs.  I have never felt better in
my life.  I did not eat fruit and the only veges I ate were an occasional
salad or green beans.  I drank Atkins shakes for breakfast and ate meat for
lunch and dinner.  I also ate nuts, cheese, and had butter and salad
dressings.  The only exercise I got was that I walked 20-30 min. every day
at a leisurely pace.  Like I said above, I never felt better and had a great
deal of energy.

>>Kim,
>
>Please see me earlier response in which I qualify this
>statement.  There is no conclusive scientific evidence
>one way or the other.  But there are plenty of good
>practical reasons to avoid it if you goal is fat loss:
>
>1. While eating low carb does help cut fat, it is
>simply not necessary to go into ketosis.  You can eat
>a balanced, low carb diet and lose fat very quickly
>without acheiving ketogenic states.
>
>2. Ketogenic diets are usually unbalanced
>nutritionally, and thus even though ketosis itself is
>not necessarily unhealthy, a diet used to acheive it
>may well be.
>
>3. If you are exercising and dieting at the same
>time(as you should be, if you want to cut fat) cutting
>carbs to the levels required to acheive ketosis will
>almost certainly reduce the intensity of your workouts
>and make them much more difficult.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Lurisia

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium
Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/