From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:56:04 -0500
> As far as I know the reason for fasting is to detox the body.

Well, I don't think this is the reason that fasting benefits the body. I
think it has to do with insulin control. I think Todd posted some ideas
on this recently, that some recent data show that controlling insulin
leads to equivalent longevity increases as CR. Fasting is one way to
control insulin with occasional spikes for meals.

Some of us do this by eliminating carbs during the day and having one
carb meal at night, but of course with protein meals during the day,
there will be insulin secreted, which won't be happening during a real fast.

--Richard