Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:57:19 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> At 20g or so of carbs/day, I am in deep ketosis, according to
> ketostix.  I remember reading, but cannot recall the source, that
> the Inuit, even on a near-zero carb diet, show only trace
> ketosis.  Does anyone else remember hearing or reading about
> that?  If it is true it once again points to a signficant
> difference in gluconeogenesis, a difference that may have been
> selected for in the Arctic but not elsewhere.
I am not sure if I attribute this necessarily to the difference in
gluconeogenesis. From personal experience, my level of ketosis
(as shown by ketostix) does not correlate well with carb intake
(assuming it is low enough to get into ketosis in the first place)
It does correlate rather well with my fat intake and hydration
levels. In other words, if I drink a cup of oil and am somewhat
dehydrated, ketostix will be extremely dark. However, normally,
they are pale. I used to test several times a day and have noticed
this rather consistently.

Ilya