Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:16:56 -0400
Karla Plank wrote:
> Here's the thing.  I've given up so much, but don't feel well.  I'm very tired,
> and rather constantly depressed in a fatigue-y, can't-get-the-energy-together
> way.  I tried low carb, Protein Power, no grain, less fruit, but what happens
> is that I feel even less energy, and no desire to eat or make food whatsoever.
> So, I add rice or fruit back in to recover my appetite.
>
> So what I have is a great deal of information, but no real, in-the-body experience
> of the vibrant health and easy weight loss people clamor about.  I'm willing to
> let go of the rice, beans, and ghee, but I don't have that shiny hopeful belief
> that I will then gain all health, rid my town of rats, and be able to play the
> electric sousaphone in just five days!
I have seen a lot of people try low carb and paleo like diets. A fairly good
fraction of them would not have results as good as many others, esp. concerning
weight loss and energy level. Usually it's NOT what people suspect. It's NOT
that the diet is wrong for them, nor that there is still a major allergen.
The most common problems on low carb diets when it comes to lack of energy/weight
loss are:
1. Loss of electrolytes (remedy - add sodium/potassium to the diet)
2. Lack of enough calories (remedy - eat more fat)
3. Lack of some vitamins/minerals (remedy - more food variety, supplements)
4. Caffeine (remedy - stop drinking coffee/caffeinated beverages)
5. Not enough essential fatty acids (remedy - eat cold water fish, some
     types of nuts, or take supplements of oil rich in EFAs)
6. Not enough water (rememdy - drink more water)

I have been doing low carb for over 3 years now, paleo for about 1 year. At some
points I DID have severe lack of energy. For me it was always either not enough
calories or not enough salt (I have been supplementing with vitamins/minerals
and EFAs for much longer so that has not been a problem for me personally).
Sometimes it takes a while to figure out exactly what is causing a problem,
but it's never been the diet itself for me.

Ilya