From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:08:21 -0700
Jim Swayze wrote:

>Todd > I don't think I'm the only one, which is why I doubt there is any "rule" discernible concerning the effect of paleo on cholesterol
>
>At least 90% of the people who have made posts to this list have reported marked improvements in cholesterol.  And I've seen nothing to contradict the idea that it's *precisely* the shift to paleo that's responsible for those sometimes near miraclous improvements in lipid profiles.  That's scientific enough for me given the current state of what goes for science in the greater world out there.

I think between Todd and Jim we have a basic rule in sight: there is
no ONE perfect dietary answer for every person.  Most Paleo eaters have
their
cholesterol go down.  Some have it go up.  I have heard
of no one who had their HDL go down, or their triglycerides
go up, however.

There are so many minor genetic differences in people,
even disregarding the cultural interactions with foods from
one's country of origin.  Gary Nabhan has an interesting book out,
"Why Some Like It Hot" investigating the interaction of foods available
to a particular ethnic group with sociocultural and culinary practices.
Fascinating stuff, at least to me.

He takes a little whack at Cordain in the book, which was interesting.
Nabhan points out that paleolithic peoples living in different places
had different
foods available to them, therefore there is no ONE Paleo diet.

    Lynnet