From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:50:26 -0700
Jay:
 >Well, from first hand experience, I can say Dr. Day
 >changed my life. For the short term, the advice she
 >offers is right on the money and should be placed at
 >the top of the list of treatments for cancer.

You lost weight, however, weight loss is usually the last
thing you would want to promote in a cancer patient.  ;-)

 >I am still following Dr. Day and Rev. Malkmus's Diet,
 >the Hallelujah Diet, with the exception of eliminating
 >the cooked starches / grains and with the addition
 >of raw animal foods and some cooked fish and wild
 >game, which would make me 100% paleo, and about
 >75 - 80% raw paleo, at that.

If not for the mention of the grains and the animal foods,
who could have told the diets apart?  :)

 >For a medical condition, especially a chronic degenerative
 >condition or cancer, a short-term raw vegan program is
 >exactly what is needed because of its excellent cleansing
 >/ detoxing ability.

In some instances this could be the case but in others
it might only worsen the condition.  For some reason
proponents of vegan programs tend to nurture an obsession
with cleansing all while blissfully ignoring the cleansing
properties of animal foods.

 >There is ample, real testimony from real people who healed
 >themselves following these diets, with my own testimony
 >included in that.

Sure, but they belong to a minority.  Only a fool-hearted person
would try to overcome something a serious as cancer through
diet exclusively.

 >That these diets don't work LONG TERM for *some* people
 >is not justification to dismiss the short term healing abilities
 >of these diets.

Naturally, there can be differences between a maintenance diet
and a therapeutic diet.

 >> Still, more and more people are living longer and
 >>healthier lives. What is an idealist to do? ;-)

 >Wonder what you are smoking, I guess? :)

I think what you are smelling is your own straw man
going up in smoke.  Imagine the audacity of some
people to go on living despite the dire predictions of
diet idealists as yourself.  ;-)

 >Longevity is not the real issue. Quality of life is the real issue.
 >So people are living longer...with the extra time spent laying
 >in bed, half dead or hooked up to machines.

That is somewhat of a myth. Only a minority of people end up
having to spend their last years in hospitals or nursing homes.

 >Adam, who was probably close to paleo lived ~900 years,
 >Once again, I agree William.

900 years, now, who is doing the smoking?  And please spare
us from your interpretations of ancient religious texts.  I would
rather listen to Tiny Tim sing the blues. ;-)

Peter