From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:14:20 -0500
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:51:10 -0600, Debbie McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>matesz wrote:
>>
>>..that provitamin A in produce can yield only HALF as much vitamin A as
>> previously thought.  Animal sources of true vitamin A are superior.

Rachel, superior in what?
I suppose retinol activity per gram eaten.
*if* you eat liver or kidney.
Else it is not so plentifull.

On the other hand carotenes have some additional benefit as antioxidant.
Better would be to include carotenes even if you ate liver.

>Can one eat too much of these vegetables? My skin is getting a
>little yellow from eating so much squash. My eyes are white so it
>is not jaundice, it's the palms of my hands that are most showing
>it?  Debbie

As far as i know it is impossible to get a Vitamin A intoxication from
carotenes, as there is a body regulative which can downregulate
its intake from food.

Some time back I heard from a man who drunk many liters of carrot juice per
day and died with an orange skin. Too much is too much, but the death cause
weren't the carotenes i think. Tubers have strong agencies.

A darker skin color from carotenes is a side-effect which is quite positive.
You can add a drop of carrot-oil to your face instead of using rouge.

regards

Amadeus