From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:44:21 -0400
Paul Sand wrote:

> BTW, for a few months my C intake from food is very low and I stopped
taking
> C supplements and nothing happens. So my question:
> what are most reliable signs of C deficiency? Are there any reliable tests
> to find out ?
> With so many other antioxidants (A,E) why we care that much about C?

When I stop taking w3 supplements it takes me about 3 weeks or so to notice
the effects (my skin gets dry and cracks around my right knuckle, go
figure), and I have heard that deficiencies of vitamins and minerals take
months to resolve, so I would expect a long delay in noticing effects of a
shortfall if there is one.

You are probably getting enough vitamin C through diet to prevent any
outward signs of deficiency. The question is, does extra supplementary
vitamin C get you anything? For me, it does: my allergies are significantly
better and I have fewer aches and pains when I take about 6g per day of
ascorbate. It's not that I *need* to take this (I ran out and haven't taken
any for a few days and feel no ill effects) but over the long haul it
noticably helps me.

I think E is very important to reduce lipid peroxidation and it is hard to
get a lot of E through diet, so I supplement with E. I also supplement with
A in the form of cod liver oil, you could take desiccated liver tablets or
eat liver once or twice a week to avoid non-paleo supplements. If you don't
take E I don't think you'd notice anything but I could be wrong.

--Richard