From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:14:02 +0200
Todd Moody wrote:
>On Tue, 11 May 1999, Aaron A. Weiss wrote:

>> What about the possibility that in a few hundred generations of

>living by
>> agriculture, we might have developed genetic mutations harmful to

>paleo eating
>> that have survived because of the predominantly agricultual diet?

>A point mentioned in Neanderthin is that Inuit who adopt a
>"civilized" diet have greater than average rates of diabetes, and
>I believe similar observations have been made with respect to
>Australian aborigines and Polynesians.  Why should these people
>be *more* susceptible to diseases of civilization than others?
>We can only speculate. ......

Speculating:
Inuit/Aboriginals/Polynesians have been gatherers/hunters until very

recently (Inuit hunters only).
They had contact with "modern" food  only since less than a few

generations.
For them, there is no adaption time of a few hundred generation to
the cereal based agriculture.

Even worse: Those h/g cultures  didn't come in contact
with the original neolithic nutrition, which was proofed
in hundreds of generations - (of whole grains and pulses).

But with something one might call industrial nutrition.
Denaturated carbs (starch, sugar), manipulated and extracted
ingredients, conservants,
preferation of durability and cheapness instead of freshness and

purity.

I think the main "culprit" is the industrial nutrition
(and thats what is the usual presently in western countries).

I think the original neolithic nutrition could only spread
after remodelling the paleolithic aquired requirements successfully.
The first grain-based societies were existing for thousands of years
in parallel with mesolithic people (at least 8000bc until 4400 bc).
Why did they wait so long? What were they waiting for?
Then, all in a sudden (in a few hundred years, 5000 meters per year)
Europe became neolithic. Suddenly this technology became successful.

This can't be only a process of mere outnumbering because
of bigger birth rates (i understand and respect this argument).
Maybe it was the availability of flax as a w-3 fat supply which
was missing before in the cereals.

More and more it appears to me that the real culprit is
not simply neolithic nutrition, but industrial nutrition.
Industrial nutrition disregarding nutrition solutions which were
already found by our ancient anchestral cultures
(from indus to danube).

Industrialisation left us almost zero adaption time to its foods.
And food changed *dramatically* in its composition.

Amadeus

---
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net