Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:56:19 -0400
Charles wrote:

<<The idea that all
this pasteurization and irradiation is basically just an obsession by the
health authorities, and a way of increasing shelf life and thus profits of
food manufacturers, is pretty revolutionary. And the possibility that it is
weakening us and making us more susceptible to diseases is highly scary>>

  What's most frightening is that research exists that supports these ideas,
but it is tossed aside by those who stand to have their financial status
altered by changes that would benefit people's health.

  Naturally, reasearch also exists to support irradiation and pasturization.
What's really needed is an independent committee that reviews research
protocols and the conclusions reached.  The scientific community feels that
the standards for research are now more stringent than ever before.  This
statement must be evaluated for its true meaning.  It merely means that
standards are higher than they were.

  Several times a week I am stunned by studies I read and the conclusions
drawn.  Interpreting data is not the strong suit of science.

Siobhan