From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:43:00 -0500
Erik Hill wrote:
<snip>
> allergic to the fruits I was eating.  Recently I've discovered that
> cooking the fruit for a short time eliminates the allergic reaction, so
> I want to increase my carbs somewhat now that I can...  I want to avoid
> the very low carb diet because, although it does help me stay fairly
> thin, it makes me tired all the time...  and adding some fruit does not
> seem to cause me to gain more than about 5 pounds.  So, I really don't
> understand what I need to look out for when I do this...

I find that fruit doesn't help me like starchy vegetables do -- yams, sweet
potatoes, beets, turnips, etc. I eat about 1/2 large yam or equivalent for
dinner, sometimes more. For breakfast and lunch, I stick to protein and fat
and not much else -- eggs, turkey salad, chicken, steak, etc. But without
some complex carbs for dinner, I don't do well.

If I do not have some real complex starchy veggies, I get very strong
cravings and feel tired and shagged out. Then I end up cheating. So I make
sure to have plenty of those veggies with dinner. I can eat a lot of fruit
and still have those cravings, so I end up not eating much fruit.

It has been discussed and I got it from this list,  that glycogen stores are
not replenished with fructose, so I guess that accounts for the fact that
fruit does not seem to satisfy my carb impulse.

--Richard

--Richard