From:
Mary Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 17:54:54 -0600
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Karen Robinson wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A friend of mine has a concern about her 77 year old husband. He was put
> > on a no-carb diet for a week and then a low-carb diet, by a new doctor,
> > and she's concerned because of something she read in Lutz's book "Life
> > Without Bread". He says that in men over 50, there is a concern about
> > going suddenly to a no- or very low-carb diet because it could provoke
> > heart attacks or other serious initial side effects.

Most physicians who prescribe a low carb diet have had a lot of experience
typically because they have usually learned the hard way that the conventional
low fat diet does not work for all kinds of things.  Also, did the new doctor
perform bloodwork?  If so, he could have some very good foundations for his
prescroption.  I am not familiar with  Lutz's book.  I assume he gives a
bibliography and a citation for his conclusion about the effects on men over
50 of a low carb diet.  Could someone share that?

thanks,

Mary Giese
Lawrence, Kansas