From:
Yvan Stefanic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:24:17 -0500
Marilyn Harris wrote:

>It seems that there is more of a genetic component to their longevity ...
>unfortunately. Additionally, in the case of these people, diet/lifestyle
>does not even seem to be much of a factor...

Those people can live long and prosper on a diet of grains, beans, dairy
and meat.

I think that most of us can't.  That's why we're here, on this list.
What must *we* do to have similar results?

I think that most people have to retreat to the diet of vegetables,
fruits, nuts and seeds of our paleo ancestors.

Someone on this list made a very good point, a couple of days ago, about
the fat ratios in wild game vs. those in farmed animals.  If those fat
ratios aren't in the foods in the supermarket, then I must either find
them elsewhere, or raise my own, or mix and match what I can buy in
stores in order to approximate an original diet.

And  fatty acids aren't the only things I have to mix and match.  If I
do that successfully, will I also have all the minerals, amino acids,
vitamins and (gulp!) carbs that I need?

What I'd like to know is:

1. What are the amounts of the various monosaccharides, amino acids and
fatty acids that my ancestors ate, more than 10,000 years ago?  I know
they didn't have oil in bottles and butter in sticks and rinds of
corn-fed pork (whose fatty acid ratio doesn't resemble that of a wild
boar) I'm very sure.

2.  Which of the foods in my grocery store are derived from foods that
my ancestors ate (in eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa?

3.  Evidently, humans have had fire pits for 500,000 years.  In half a
million years, have we adapted to heterocyclic amines and acrylamides?
And, in half a million years, have we adapted to some foods that can't
be eaten raw?

Yvan