From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 09:12:25 -0400
On Sun, 26 May 2002, Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> I saw my farm dogs when I was a kid eating the pigs that had died in
> my Dad's pig house. They really seemed to like the ones that had sat
> in the summer sun a few weeks, bloated and stinking. Supposedly we
> are very similar to dogs in digestive design....considering so many
> cultures love for rotted foods like saurkraut, kimchi, cheese, maybe
> this is our natural food. ;--)

A key digestive difference between humans and dogs is stomach
acid levels, with dogs producing much more.  At least one
function of stomach acid is thought to be the destruction of
bacteria and parasites.  Also, in at least this particular the
"blood type" diet theory is correct: people with type A blood
have lower levels of stomach acid than those with type O blood.
This would make them less able to tolerate carrion, I think.  I'm
less sure whether it has any implications for aged or fermented
foods.

Todd Moody