Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:18:49 -0500
hanni wienkoop
> What about stress and Paleo. Stress and  burn out are very stressfull
> situation for the organismus. Has anyone experienced loss of stress
> symptoms or controling those better after switching to Paleo.

Yes, I noticed some improvement in this area. It was especially noticeable
in the first few months after eliminating gluten and going Paleo. There were
even times where I felt a feeling of euphoria, which gradually occurred less
often until it was gone (I miss that :-) ). Some foods, such as wild salmon,
seemed to trigger it the first few times I ate them. I took this to indicate
that these foods are particularly good for me. Another Paleo dieter reported
experiencing this euphoria phenomenon in the early stages of the dietary
change and the guy in the fish section of the supermarket said wild salmon
also gave him euphoric feelings the first few times he ate it.

> I am suffering from burnout
> almost my whole life. Still my blood sugar has always been
> normal and no other diviations from normal blood status. My
> weight is optimal. I try to take to Paleo as much I can.
> Still I consume some bread, butter and dairy. It is difficult
> to eat mainly meat, fish, fat, berries and vegetables. Maybe
> I shoud still try to drop bread completely  for some weeks to
> find out. Is there any article you know about this issue ?

I doubt that going purely Paleo would eliminate all chronic stress, but it
theoretically could help.

I've been thinking about blood sugar and speculate that the fasting-glucose
tests that doctors do are probably insufficient. Cordain and others have
connected chronic blood sugar spikes to myopia, acne, male pattern baldness
and other disorders. Since not all people who have these disorders are
diabetic and since the blood sugar spikes occur when eating, not when
fasting, it seems to me that the effect of various foods on people's blood
sugar should also be checked--not just fasting glucose. My guess is that
some day all people who have symptoms of hyperinsulinemia or hypoglycemia,
not just diabetics, will have their blood sugar checked over a period of
days or weeks to see what foods most affect them. Even some Paleo foods can
spike blood sugar, though probably not as much as the worst-offending modern
foods.