Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:15:00 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt resonded to my previous post about Kellog's plan to reduce
sex drive with a meatless diet including coarse whole wheat flour, from whic
cracker was made....One of these foods he called CORN FLAKES.

>>>I don't think that the correlation of diet to feelings and sexuality is
*that* easy (meat= sexy??).

It can be "that simple" for many people.  Sex hormones are made from things
you cannot get from vegetables.  You know the old saying *you can't get
blood from a turnip*???  At times I had erratic and infrequent menstration
(when I did not have a low body fat and was at times over-fat!), low
estrogen levels, low body temperature, very little or no sex drive, anemia,
and related problems on vegan or near-vegan diets.  I know of many other
women who had the same or similar problems.

I also know of a fair number of men who had very little libido on such diets
as well (and would have made great monks).  I've read that tofu was fed to
monks to cool their jets making it easier fo rthem to remain celibate.  A
veg. diet may not work for everyone (to curb sex drive0, but it works very
well (too wel)l for some!

although all of them were vegetarian too. To the opposite, I like very much
the very good endurance vegetarianism seems to bring also on this sector of
life.  I hope you had the desired success after switching from vegetarianism
to a heavy meat diet(?). ;-)

Yes!  Great success!  Boy, was I missing out! I am :-))) to say that on a
meat and vegetable-rich diet I have much more sex drive.  Steak tartare,
ceviche and similar dishes seemed to be particularly good for that!!

When I was a vegan, I often met couples in which the woman was pushing for a
vegan or vegetarian diet and the man said he just couldn't do it.  He'd try
it for a while then find he had to have meat---he lost his stamina (in the
bedroom, they gym, with work....)  He just didn't feel right without meat.

A chiropractor I know said he's had many people tell him that when they
added meat (flesh foods, esp. red meat) back to their daily diets and ate
mostly meats and veggies, they noticed more sex drive, more sustained
endurance, and greater sensitivity (pleasure!)  I also read about a study
which showed that when men cut out red meat their testosterone levels
dropped.  I believe it.  I've seen it.

Oh, I might add that I'm not eating heavy Bavarian meals.  I eat a lot of
plant food (vegetables with some fruit) in addition to fish, poultry, meat,
and eggs.  Eating animal proteins on a daily basis doesn't necessarily lead
to feeling loggy after meals--quality, quantity, and context are key.  I
don't sit down to a side of beef nor a 14-ounce steak for supper.  It was
when I ate a vegan diet that I often felt sleepy after meals.  My guess is
the Bavarians ate meals rich in meat, fat, and starch--a particularly sleep
inducing combo (like most Thanksgiving dinners in America!!)

I meal of meat, poultry, fish or eggs, vegetables, salad dressing or oil,
and a pice of fruit doesn't make me too pooped to party!

Okay, off that soap box,
Rachel

P.S. Congratulations on finding some women with good sexual endurance on
vegetarian diets!!!  I would not have been one of them back then!