From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:45:50 -0500
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:26:35 +0100, Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There is an interesting theory linking too high protein intake on low carb
>diets to thyroid problems. What was your % of fat eaten?
>Mine is never lower that 70%
>
>Paul Sand

 Yes -- Broda Barnes MD mentions this in this book on hypothyroidism.
Barnes advocates a low-carb diet for hypos but believes protein should be
limited to no more than 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight and sufficient
fat should be eaten.  When he tried a high unlimited lean protein (trimmed
veal) regime on himself, he found that his own hypo symptoms worsened and
he had to increase his thyroid meds.  This did not happen when he lowered
protein.  He says that the medical literature shows that excessive protein
uses up thyroid hormone very quickly but unfortunately, he did not
reference the study in a footnote.  Anyway, Jan Kwasniewski MD also speaks
of metabolic problems caused by "too much" protein.  He also prescribes no
more than 1 gram of protein per kilogram of "ideal" bodyweight, and dietary
fat is to be kept at around 70%-80% -- sounds like your diet Paul.  I feel
that these theories may have merit because the usual reasons for hypo
symptoms (hair loss, fatigue, weight stalls) given to people on very low
carb regimes is simply that they  need to take vitamins.  Most low-carbers
already take plenty of vitamins if they correctly follow the suggestions in
the Atkins or Eades books -- so this makes no sense.  I do feel that
the "excessive" protein theory only makes sense in the context of a low-
carb regime.   For years I ate a mixed diet with tons of protein and plenty
of carbs and did not experience hypo symptoms.  I think with the absence or
drastic reduction of carbs in one's diet, one must take extra care to
ingest sufficient fat so that fat is being used as fuel, not protein.  This
is why I find the recommendations to eat lean meats in a low-carb context
very dubious. These are of course just my own opinions.