From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:39:18 -0700
Amadeus:
 >From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary - Paleo:
 >"Greek palai-, palaio- ancient, from palai long ago; 1 : involving or
 >dealing with ancient forms or conditions <paleobotany>; 2 : early :
 >primitive : archaic <Paleolithic>"
 >Since the definition of paleo is restricted to a meaning of "very old," any
 >diet that avoids Neolithic foods should adequately fit the definition.

Even though you are avoiding grains with high gluten content and
eliminating corn and soy, your diet is still a far cry from even a loosely
defined paleo diet.  In fact, as it excludes animal foods, it is questionable
if it even qualifies as a neolithic diet. ;-)

Amadeus:
 >What is a "paleo"-diet? Or a paleolithic diet?
 >A diet that has been eaten in the paleolithicum.
 >That's the old stone age.
 >That's from the beginning of stone tool making (would be some 4.5 mio years
 >ago) up to mesolithic ages.
 >The reasoning is that we as humans would have aquired
 >adaptions in our genes to food items and compositions.
 >This means we have to look far back, because genetic changes happen
 >very slow.  And we have to rule out populations not in the
 >genetic line of our anchestry.
 >That leaves not much from today's kitchens.

Especially not if you eliminate all animal foods. ;-)

Amadeus:
 >Remember, fire only for the last 350,000 years.

That seems more like an argument for eating at least some
of our animal foods raw.

Amadeus:
 >The definition of "what is paleo" I like best is:
 >"Eat like naked with a stick and a stone"
 >Basically it's from Ray Audette.

Is Ray Audette not that crazy falconer from Texas who hunts rabbits
in the Dallas suburbs? ;-)

Amadeus:
 >I feel best with it when I'm harvesting some black currant
 >from my garden.

What has that got to do with anything?

Peter:
 >>.. avoiding all animal foods per definition is not paleo.

Amadeus:
 >Where is that definition you are speaking about?

In "Paleo 101" by Peter Brandt.  :)
If I said "avoiding all plant foods is per definition not paleo",
would you disagree with that statement as well? ;-)

Peter