From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:31:17 -0700
>Still food seems to me the major culprit in westernised societies.
>Artificial
>coloring, preservatives, the whole shebang.

Cristy mentioned this in regards to the westernized diet of Singapore.  But
it reminds me of all the new products targeting low-carb dieters.

For grins, I scan the labels of the meal replacement/snack bars from time to
time.  Yikes!  Apparently, there are a lot of people out there who are
trying to eat a lot of protein but care not a whit about carbs.  One
"protein bar" had some 35 grams.  Maybe I'm stupid but when I see 'Protein
Bar!' I assume it to be high in protein but low in carbs.  I don't recall
any diet books telling you to eat plenty of both.  I've seen many "healthy"
bars in health food stores with more than *50* grams.  A Kit Kat bar has
less than 30!  I know , 'cuz I was in the corner store this morning and saw
a bar that bragged about being 'carb-conscious.'  Puh-LEEZE!  It's carb
count was a mere two grams shy of a Kit Kat bar one shelf up.  Standard-size
candy bars run in the 30-35 gram range.  They may have sugar, but at least
there are no protein isoflavones, FD&C red, artificial flavors and other
probably carcinogenic food substitutes.  Sheesh!  What about just, oh, I
dunno, MEAT AND VEGETABLES?  "Food" manufacturers have us eating
God-knows-what!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO