From:
Blue Rider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:20:41 -1000
John C. Pavao wrote:

> Metamucil has refined sugar in it, as do most such commercial preparations.  Those that don't often have artificial sweeteners.
>
> These products also fall under the category of unnaturally concentrated, and so are technically outside of this diet.
>
> John Pavao
>
> ----------

It isn't hard to find psyllium without any sugar or artificial sweetner
in it. Just *read the Label*! I do not consider psyllium a food, as you
are taking the *husk* of the seed and not the seed itself.  To the best
of my knowledge, the action of the husk is *only* to absorb water and to
soften hard stool, and to bulk up watery or too-soft stool.  The body
takes takes nothing at all from the husk.  The action is *purely*
mechanical.
It may be a little outside the scope of this diet, but I'm not *that*
much of a purist.  I figure if it works for what I want it to and
doesn't cause bad results, use it!

Jackie