From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:44:28 EDT
Thought this might prove useful for any paleos that are experiencing a weight
plateau.  For the past several months I had been stuck at a particular
weight.  I attributed this to the fact that I was extremely close to goal
(approximately 7 pounds away) and that I was stuck at a fairly low weight for
my height 5'2" -- 113 pounds.  I had been eating lots of almonds and walnuts.
 After reading the various posts, I realized that both almonds and walnuts
contain a relatively high proportion of Omega 6 (notwithstanding the fact
that walnuts also contain lots of Omega 3).  I also eat 2 tablespoons of flax
per day plus at least 3-6 ounces of canned sardines.  I decided to stop those
particular nuts and switch to macadamia nuts which are higher in
monosaturated fats than even olive oil and contain nearly identical
(balanced) albeit tiny amounts of omega 6 and 3.  I averaged 3.5 to 7 ounces
of these per day while making sure that I kept my over protein grams from
meat, fish, poultry, eggs to no more than around 90 grams per day.  I did not
include the protein counts in nuts/seeds.  Well, notwithstanding the fact
that I added 800-1,600 nut calories which included 80-160 nut fat grams per
day over and above the rest of my daily consumption, I broke my plateau in
about 3 days.  I am now at 110.5   The only other change I made was to cut
out ALL fruit except for about a fourth of a cup of blueberries in the
morning with breakfast.  I don't know how or why this worked for me but I
hope it helps others out there who are stuck very close to goal.  I have now
lost a total of 25 pounds since January.