From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:03:14 -0500
mark wilson wrote:

>I think genetics do play a role in determining how bad
>the damage will be.  Some people do much better than
>others, but the bottom line is, if your diet consists
>mainly of sugar and refined grains (typical of kids
>today), your face will not develop properly.  Crowded,
>crooked teeth should be the exception, not the rule.
>I've been going to high school basketball games the
>last few weeks and it's stunning how many of the kids
>have braces.

I'm a baby-boomer, born in 1953.  I was not breast-fed, but given
whatever postwar "modern living" junk they used then.  I think I
remember my mother saying it was some concoction that involved condensed
milk.  My diet was not as sugar-laden as what has become normal today,
but compared to my parents' Depression-era diet, it included many more
processed foods and sugary snacks.  There were always cookies around
when I was a kid, and I remember my father telling me that this was a
rare treat when he was growing up.

Compared to my father and others in his generation of my family, my
lower face is undeveloped, and I have crowded teeth.  I never got
braces, because we couldn't afford them.  My teeth are crowded and
crooked to this day.

Todd Moody