From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:53:34 +1000
At 14:01 +1000 3/5/1999, Aaron Wieland wrote:

>the amount of vitamin C in meat is *assumed* to be zero.  Period.

And the amount of carbohydrate is assumed to be whatever remains once
fat, protein, water and ash have been extracted.

Another problem: who is to say the product the USDA tested bears any
resemblance to the product available in your area? For example, the
amount of minerals may vary widely depending on the soil depletion.

The USDA database has its shortcomings, but it is still the most
comprehensive nutritional resource I have come across.

But as with anything, you need to be aware of the shortcomings,
and keep this in mind while examining the data.

>reading about the USDA and Canadian Nutrient File databases;

Is there a separate Canadian database?
If so, is it available on the Web?

 ...Richard.