Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:36:12 -0800

><<The fact that pathogens are present in "infectous
>disease" doesn't mean they are responsible for it.
>Instead of focusing on what is going to eat me once i
>am dying or dead, I prefer to focus on what keep me
>well alive to be able to smile at the sight of
>vultures.>>
>
>...Yes, people have died from bacteria,
>germs, diseases, etc., but isn't that part of life?

The point here is that germ theory disallows, or
at best only gives passing mention, to resistance and
immunity. Everything is blamed on the germ itself
as causative instead of associative or
opportunistic?

Did those kids in Seattle who died after eating
E. coli-laden burgers succumb from the bacterium,
or from a typical subclinically-scorbutic,
Lysol-and-Listerine drenched, immune-challenged
upbringing? Did those yummy milkshakes shepherd
the bugs straight into their guts, the stomach
acids neutralized by calf-food proteins?

Adopting a fatalistic outlook may indeed
be necessary under such a WOL.

>No one has said, at least that I know of, that we are
>guaranteed a disease free, germ free life without
>illness. You roll the dice and you take your chances.
>There is no guarantee that eating a paleodiet will
>save us from illness, it may increase our chance at
>health, but it is no guarantee.

Along with the peculiarly American antiseptic mania
is this craving for guarantees and proof as a guide for
living. I heard a scientist say that proving a theory
is an obsolete notion - one can only wait for it to
be knocked down and replaced with one more consistent
with observed phenomena. The problem is that the perceptual
filters, of which Germ Theory is one, tend to linger
in the minds of those who accept it as Law. Basically,
one must wait till the old fogies are dead.

Relevant to Paleofood are the obsolete dietary and
vitamin theories slowly giving way to more wholistic
and broadly-encompassing hypotheses. High-fat and
minimally-cooked animal protein bases for diet are
heresy to orthodox nutrition "experts", and the
exogenous liver metabolite, ascorbate ion, persists
in being relegated to trace nutrient status with the
other vitamins as the so-called "vitamin C".

This is an exciting time! NeanderThin and similar
theories are pushing out the Neolithic-dominated
paradigm. When our children start living better,
longer lives from the right WOE/WOL, we'll know
it won't be due to yet another wonder drug, the
latest "vaccination" or another wierd xenocompound
in pill form.